Tuesday, June 28, 2011

♥ My First Post and No Recipe...I know, I'm terrible. ♥

    To anyone who's actually reading this: (..I'm guessing it's probably not that many people. If any...)
Hello!
    You're now reading the first ever post on my blog: CupcakeGirl, the Almost / Sort-of / Kind-of / Getting There / Foodie and Pastry Chef. What a mouthful, right?  It was only fitting though, as of course, I'm far from being a professional Foodie OR Pastry Chef. I'm only 16, which could make being either of the two rather difficult (you only learn so much in High School cooking classes). Luckily for me though, my lack of knowledge (so far..) isn't stopping me on my quest to become a major foodie. That, and possibly even a pastry chef one day.

    Now, if you're a friend of mine, you're probably wondering: 

      Why the hell are you writing a food blog? 
    
   Hm. Maybe even some random readers are asking the same thing: why would a 16 year old write a food blog, especially during her summer vacation? 

    Simply put: I love food, I pretty much have no life, and I'm clumsy, especially in the kitchen. If I can have fun cooking and writing this blog, and entertain the people who read it with my kitchen horror stories at the same time (trust me; I have plenty of horror stories), then oh, why not?

   (..That, and I recently watched the movie Julie and Julia [new favorite!], which gave me the idea of having a food blog project. Thanks, Julie, Julia, and Nora Eprhon!)

    If you know me, you probably already know that I love to bake. My friends and family are often the test-subjects for my experiments (whole wheat snicker doodles, banana chocolate chip muffins, and peanut-butter-cup cupcakes seemed to be their favorites...). They all know me pretty well, but if you don't know me, a few things: I'm obsessed with cupcakes (I repeat: obsessed. You'll find out for yourself soon enough..) , I can be an obnoxious health nut (yeah..one of "those"), everything I make pretty much has to be from scratch (Sorry Betty, Duncan, and Mr. Pilsbury: there's only room in the kitchen for one baker), and overall, I love being in the kitchen, cooking or baking (but, especially baking). While I love it though, that doesn't necessarily mean I'm a pro at it. (Far from it actually. I can proudly say I've got decent kitchen skills...just not professional ones.)

    That being said, I'd like to point out that this blog is a little different than most food blogs out there. Usually, a food blog is created by a professional chef, or more often by a real "foodie" (i.e. someone who's obsessed with every aspect of food, and pretty much lives and breathes it, even if they're not a professional chef). In their blogs, they pretty much know what they're doing, and kind of act like teachers, giving helpful hints, amazing recipes, and informative lessons to pre-foodies like me.
    
    Well on my blog...obviously, I'm not nearly educated enough to be giving full-blown cooking lessons. But, that doesn't mean I can't teach.

    This blog pretty much gives readers a chance to almost come into my kitchen and learn with me: I make a lot of mistakes, so I guess the more I make, the better for you. With mistakes comes trial and error though, so once I've fixed my errors (don't hold your breath: I make a lot of these) and perfected a recipe, I'll post it (along with mouth-watering picture up with it too :] ).

    My plan as of now is to put up 1 Cupcake post, 1 Dessert post, and 2 Meal posts every week (I'm a babysitter for my three constantly hungry siblings [who adore sweets. Adore.] and my mom works late during summer. Guess who cooks dinner during the week?). I've spent a long while browsing cook books and the web for recipes, so I've got a bunch I want to try this summer. (While you probably won't see recipes on here for things like Poached Persimmon, Lemon Verbena Creme Brulee, or others along the lines of a 5-star chef's recipes, you'll be sure to see..well, some pretty good ones at least.) As soon as I try a recipe, I'll probably post about it; but, since I'm a teenage girl and I'm a little forgetful, I may not always be totally on the clock. So for all you serious bloggers who routinely check their favorite blogs...go easy on me. (that is, if I even have any serious bloggers [or anyone for that matter] reading my blog.)

    Obviously this is a blog, so while I talk food-talk and let you all in to my kitchen adventures, I'll probably get into my life a bit, too. And, if you hadn't already noticed...I write. A lot. I'm a rambler in real life and I can talk for hours, so clearly, that reflects on my writing. (Just slightly though...)

    So, this is my blog. As I learn to get over my "almosts", "sort-ofs", "kind-ofs", and "getting theres", maybe one day I'll actually become the foodie and pastry chef I'd love to be. But until then...I'm just CupcakeGirl, making one mistake (but learning from it) at a time.

2 comments: