Monday, September 26, 2011

♥ It's Been A While, I Know...But I'm Back, with Baked Goods! [My 43 Day Baking Challenge] ♥



  ....I can make up two months of not blogging with dessert and a few nice pictures, right?

                  

    ..Right.


    July 28th, a few days after my last post, was the day that changed the rest of my summer vacation completely. It was the morning in which I had laid in bed, fearing the upcoming month, knowing that it would be the very last chance I had for adventure.
So I had to know.
I had to.

    I counted my final days of summer according to my calender, which marked the first day of school on the 6th of September; as I counted and the number of days grew, it gave me a little more hope.


    ...Until, of course, I got to the end and was left with 43 days of summer.

    Just 43.


    From that moment on, gone were the days where summer seemed endless and the warm, relaxed days seemed as if they'd never stop coming around. Now in their place was a timer, giving me 43 days to do everything I'd wanted to do that summer: sleepovers, beach days, trips to the park, movie nights, mall days, and most importantly, my plethora of baking projects I'd been planning in my Project Book.


    Now, don't get me wrong: 43 days is a lot of days. But somehow, when you're a teenager and your freedom is limited by little numbered boxes on your calender, the end of summer manages to become a lot scarier than it should be - especially when the end of summer means the beginning of your junior year in high school.

    Scary, right?

    (Yes. Very.)

    Well, like every other teenager on the face of the Earth, of course I had to share my terror with, well, just about everyone I knew (Oh, Facebook...). And so I did:

"43 days left of summer vacation. Hm...How many pastries can I bake in 43 days?"

    And with that, the fate of my summer changed: As my dear friend Autumn was scrolling through her Facebook homepage, she happened to come across my status and decided to start a bet with this daring blogger: she bet that I couldn't make 30 different pastries/baked goods/desserts in this [last month plus some] of summer.  





   
    Silly, silly Autumn.


   Little did she know (or did she?), I absolutely cannot say no to a challenge, especially one that puts my     mixer and I to the test.


    What else cannot I do as well?


     Lose a challenge. So I didn't.


    It really was a challenge, though. The bet soon turned into a competition of some sort: me against the ticking summer clock, rushing to get everything done, along with a set of rules as well. All of the goods had to be different (no variations of the same recipe) and pictures had to be taken of everything in order for them to count.


    In addition to all of that, I was rushing to cram in the rest of my summer activities into only one month; among all the sleepovers, Disney movie nights, park adventures, vacations, etc. were long baking days, including some wins, some losses, and even some stuff in between.


    Which is why I am just now blogging about this: today, 4 weeks into the Junior Year from Hell, I'm just now getting the chance to write about this crazy experience. August was absolutely crazy, and September has just been... well, a lot more crazy than August, to say the least. I knew my Junior Year was going to be tough, but never this tough. The work never seems to end anymore, and just when you think you're finally able to breath a sigh of relief and hop on the computer to write on your blog, op, oh no: you've got another three hour homework assignment. (You've gotta love A.P classes. Especially psychology.)


    Not to mention everything else a Junior's got to do to get accepted into college next year: with clubs ( 5 and counting, plus one being started by myself and a certain someone), Driver's Ed ( pray for me. I'm going to need it.), a potential job at a new bakery ( fun news on that next time.. :] ), community service (does baking for the poor count?) (kidding.) (maybe.), and oh, studying for the "most important exams of my life" (cough cough, the ACT and the SAT), this blogger's little brain is on the verge of explosion.

    So with that, I'm going to be honest: my blog is going to be the least of my worries. But, that doesn't mean I won't try to get on here as often as possible. I mean, how can I not? I have 30+ fantastic recipes  to share with all of you (as well as all the kitchen adventures to go with them), in addition to the boatload of rants on high school life I'm sure you're all just dying to hear. (And trust me: this boatload is a never ending one.)



    
    Thank you to anyone who's been following my blog, or even those who just drop by once in a while to see what I'm up to now: I sincerely apologize for being such an untimely blogger, but I promise you this: I can, and will, make up for my tardiness. You all have my word!


And remember: bakers always keep their promises.
Especially when it comes to treating her loved ones every once in a while.
(Or, everyday for a month.)

No comments:

Post a Comment